Sunday 10 May 2015

Stop, look and listen.

I happened to find myself at school today - nothing unusual about that I hear you say until you realise that it was a Sunday.  I was there returning tables, boards and plants after the Fareham Gardeners' Market yesterday and while I was ferrying said items from my car to various places I found myself walking past the pond area.  I couldn't resist stopping and looking as it has always been one of my most favourite areas of the school - to me it has a magical quality.  And this morning it didn't disappoint.

I decided to let myself into the area, although I must admit I felt like a naughty school girl sneaking in without permission, and wondered slowly around.  It had the sense that something amazing was about to happen although it was silent apart from the birds singing in the nearby trees.  Year 1 had been busy the previous week planting out the new dry stone wall, and the pond was clearer of weed than I have seen for a while.  The new nocturnal bed, designed to continue to encourage bats into our grounds, is taking shape as the After School Club had been in there weeding and digging on Friday.  I loitered in there for a while, just enjoying the different areas which are usually busy with children, but which were now still, resting, waiting.

A strange sense of guilt made me leave, as if I had trespassed upon the wildlife's territory, and I made my way round to the front of the school ready to go home.  But by now I was beginning to enjoy the solitary atmosphere so I took the opportunity to walk past the wildlife garden at the front, which is about to be filled with late Spring colour, as the Sweet Williams are ready to burst into a myriad of colours and release their bee loving scent.  And as I walked through the bed it struck me how beautiful our school is and how lucky our children are.  Of course I already know this and am constantly reminding people of the fact, but I rarely stop and look myself, as I always seem to be rushing from one place to the next.

So maybe the next time you are walking your child to school, just take a minute to stop, look,  wonder and sense just like I did, the shapes, colours and sounds of Wicor Primary.  It is such a privilege to be a small part of it.

Mrs Nash







No comments:

Post a Comment